Look how far you’ve come! More than ever, you prioritize and set boundaries. You have daily goals and you use your to-do list wisely.
And yet, you just know there’s more time you’d like to claim for special projects. You procrastinate here and distract yourself there. Some time challenges are quite stubborn, after all! They don’t just pack up and leave of their own accord.
Discouraged? Don’t let it get you down! Instead, try joining forces with an accountability buddy. Scheduled check-ins can help you remain on course.
What support does an accountability buddy provide?
With an accountability partner, you:
1. Identify your daily goals.
2. Establish how the two of you will check in – by phone, email, etc.
3. Identify for yourself the action steps needed to reach your goal.
4. Check in regularly, generally on a daily basis.
5. Keep within the agreed time frame. If speaking on the phone, a check-in may take up to 15 minutes total. An email check-in tends to be more brief.
6. Relate as a neutral listener to your buddy’s check-in, and only volunteer feedback when specifically requested.
7. Remain on topic, using your time in a mindful and respectful way.
Can you envision how this might help you take that next step forward? Think of a task that remains stalled, and imagine how good it will feel to bring it to completion!
By relating with neutrality to a colleague and consistently reporting on your varying rate of progress, you build a strong base to generate still more Time Energy™. That’s because you pull upon Adult strengths like persistence, problem-solving, and follow-through in situations you’ve avoided in the past.
There’s an added benefit. Working with an accountability buddy helps you relate to your personal projects with more objectivity and perspective. And by combining self-reference with active listening, you enrich your time while boosting your effectiveness.