IPTV stands for “Internet Protocol Television”, and basically it is a television that reaches the user not through an antenna, but through the Internet using an IP address. IPTV was supposed to be the television revolution as we knew it, a television that would reach the user with higher quality wherever it was , since only broadband (fixed or data) would be needed and a dec to be able to reproduce the content at the highest quality. However, time has passed over technology, and due to the necessary infrastructure, the main television services have been switched to OTT.
Currently, in Spain only Movistar remains as a legal IPTV service, and this is something important to specify. And, if IPTV is legal, its main use is illegal, to illegally reproduce unsigned content. We are not going to go into that, but we are going to explain what IPTV is, what are its advantages and disadvantages and the danger of watching TV for free on IPTV .
IPTV: Advantages and disadvantages
IPTV, as we say, is Internet television. However, it is not like Netflix, to give an example. Netflix is an OTT (like Vodafone, Orange, Amazon Prime Video, HBO …) and uses to offer content on demand the necessary bandwidth of our connection .
IPTV is not like this, since it reserves a percentage of our contracted bandwidth to provide service. This means that if, for example, we have 100 Mb contracted, IPTV will eat 30%, to say the least, of that band. We can only continue to use the remaining 70%.
Some may not be bothered or inconvenient, but it is for other users. Now why is that so? The reason is that it is an independent Internet connection that works as long as we have the router and the deco on (again, like Movistar), and the main advantage is that the quality will always be maximum.
In other words, IPTV creates a private connection between the user (the IP) and the operator, which, thanks to its private servers, can provide service. And, as you can guess, this allows that, although we have many devices connected to the same network, IPTV TV channels are seen at the highest quality .
However, not all are advantages with IPTV. The main drawback of IPTV is the commented bandwidth that is eaten , and also that it needs an infrastructure and maintenance. The operator puts you on the line, the router and the decoder, while in an OTT service, Over the top, you don’t need that. Therefore, Netflix works on any device without having to contract any service from the operator that we have.
Is the use of IPTV legal? Are IPTV channels legal?
We have already seen what IPTV is and how it works, and now we tell you how you should not use it. Although there are many lists of open television channels that we can see through IPTV, the main use that many users make is not that , but they have systems to watch free pay TV channels using IPTV.
This seems like a good idea, but in reality the IPTV channel lists are a field of Trojans and other malware that infects your PC and, in addition, there are paid IPTV lists that seem to offer some security, but that tomorrow may disappear without leave a trace and, in addition, without any responsibility to the user who has paid.
So, you already know what IPTV is, how it works , its difference from OTT and why you should not use this way of watching television channels if you want to comply with the law, to begin with, and have your computer clean of viruses.